Monday 5 January 2009

Something to keep out the winter chill

My Sunday night tipple was a bottle of Fullers Vintage Ale:



This is an 8.5% bottle conditioned barley wine brought out each year in time for Christmas. I drank an awful lot of this last year when I was living in Edinburgh. I didn't seem too popular in the supermarket I mainly shopped in so ended up being reduced and reduced until it was entrapment really and I was forced to buy up all they had left! 

It does suffer from the problem most British strong ales do of being too thick and cloying so really does benefit from being left for at least a year before drinking. Not that I managed to do this in Scotland but hey, I was a student at the time. Last night though I drank one of the 2006 vintage and very good it was too - it still had the strong, sherry like aroma, rich fruity taste balanced by the hops and the aging had got rid of the cloying thickness. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment