Wednesday 16 April 2014

The return of the Farnham Whitebine

The most exciting hop news in the best part of a century is now out: Farnham Whitebines are returning home. Hogs Back Brewery have announced they are now planting their own hops, including Farnham Whitebines.

I had heard this was happening but I figured it was their news to tell. As Farnham Whitebines have long been an obsession of mine I think it's fair to say that I'm rather pleased about it. 

There is a rather large hop aphid in the ointment for me though, as I've been boycotting Hogs Back's beers for many years. Ho hum.

9 comments:

  1. That stems from the horrors I suffered when I worked there, though to be fair to the current owner it was long before his time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. Cheers Stan, it is amazing news. ;-)

      Delete
  3. I can relate to that, I too suffered the horrors.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There's a lot of us out there! How long did you last?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Six highly distressing months, yourself? As you say, hopefully the change in ownership has brought about a culture change.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's all I could take too. The new owner and head brewer seem much better people but I'm still planning to keep the boycott up until I know she's gone (though I might crack when they bring a Farnham Whitebine beer out!).

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great news! Planting this coming Wednesday I believe. Brings the number of Hop Gardens in Surrey up to two ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Wednesday's the day and it will indeed double the number of Surrey hop gardens!

      Delete