Friday 20 February 2015

British beer at its best

When I was last up North I had a very pleasant surprise when I got to the pub - the Black Sheep bitter was excellent. The mates I was staying with said there were two pubs close by, one a bit foody and one an old boozer. It was an easy choice to make so we were soon in the public bar of the Glendenning arms.






They only had two beers on, and I'd had a tip off the landlord drank Black Sheep bitter so I went for that. I've not previously thought much of Black Sheep's beers, finding them pleasant enough but a bit dull. This time though was a revelation. Despite the beer's modest strength (3.8% ABV) it was packed full of flavour, the tongue coating bitterness leaving me wanting more after each sip. Even the indignity of being served through a sparkler didn't have the usual adverse effect.


Not tasting of grapefruit it probably didn't count as craft beer but it was without doubt world class beer and I was happy to drink it all night.







10 comments:

  1. What food did it match with? Pulled artisinal scotch egg?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ed doesn't do beer and food pairings, Cookie. At least not according to his previous post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it would have been stictly the classic matches of crisps or nuts in this pub.

      Delete
  3. I also have a soft spot for black sheep bitter, it generaslly drinks better up north, much like taylor's landlord which I didn't appreciate unti drinking in its heartland (says a lot of care of casks and turnover)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll certainly keep an eye out for it next time I'm up North.

      Delete
  4. Not a big fan of Black Sheep, but I'm pleased to hear the sparkler helped.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can't say I was before, but the magic of cask ale did its trick, even with the infernal device attached. I did remember to drink the beer through the head rather than drink like a normal person which may have helped.

      Delete
  5. Nice! Long may it last. Now they do a 6% ABV version made with the same hops but twice as much.

    This is the true taste of the old bitter and pale beers…

    Gary

    ReplyDelete
  6. Black Sheep best bitter is all over Northumberland pubs Ed you should stay at my place sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Do you normally rate it? I'm not sure if my recent experience was just a fluke.

    ReplyDelete